Re: Emacs bug #23794; sort-line behavior regressed from prior Emacs vers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs bug #23794; sort-line behavior regressed from prior Emacs versions
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 14:22:18 -0400

> IOW, I don't think it was ever the design goal to have sorting
> disregard invisible text.

While I agree in general, the reason why the text is made invisible
should be taken into account: in the case of outline-mode, it seems
rather unlikely that the user would like to sort lines where some lines
are headers and others aren't, since it will completely mess up
the structure.

So by including the subsequent invisible text into each visible line,
sort-line can become usable again in outline-mode (since it then sorts
(sub)sections rather than lines).

        Stefan