Re: Emacs 25.0.04: Feature Request: Make called-interactively-p's argume

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: Emacs 25.0.04: Feature Request: Make called-interactively-p's argument optional
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 10:25:26 -0400

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 10:51 PM, raman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Along those lines I had once suggested that we make (interactive-p) a
> synonym for (called-interactively-p 'interactive)  but it got rejected
> through a complex email thread. That might still be worth doing.

Maybe the simplest solution would be to undeprecate (interactive-p),
if it is not doing anything wrong, and simply continue in its
documentation to refer to the other calling form for more complex
cases.

I have seen another case where a function has been deprecated
(find-tag, with a suggestion to use xref-find-definitions) where the
new function's calling signature and behavior is totally incompatible
with that of the deprecated function.  This seems wrong.  If the old
behavior works fine and is used widely and you want to add new
behavior, there should be some good thought towards backwards
compatibility, as I am sure is typically done.

It would be nice if John and Eli could just make some final decision
on the interactive-p issue and then put that one to rest, whatever it
is.

Bob