Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole

From: Scott Randby
Subject: Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 19:02:42 -0400

On 06/30/2016 01:58 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

   > This seems to be a major part of your issue with Org mode.  Could you
   > explain in some detail what you mean specifically by having to learn
   > basic Org mode before seeing what its features are?

I don't remember -- it was years ago that I took a look at it
and gave up.  I don't have time to revisit it now.

It is hard to take this criticism of Org seriously when it comes from the uninformed position of not knowing how to use either old or recent versions of it. Org has its flaws, but the the alleged failure of various unspecified pieces to work outside of Org isn't one of them.

Org originated as a project outside of Emacs and it wasn't an official part of Emacs until recent years. It is natural that its elements are meant to work in Org. If an element happens to work outside of Org, that is just a lucky circumstance. If there is a desire to use Org elements outside of Org, then please write the code to do that, or fork Org, or start a new project. Org is free software after all.

The Org community is very open to suggestions for improvement. If anyone has specific suggestions for improvements to Org, instead of vague pronouncements about alleged failures, then please send them to the Org mailing list.

I started using Org long before it was an official part of Emacs, and it appears to me that perhaps incorporating Org into official Emacs was the failure, not the inability of some of its components to work outside of Org.

Scott Randby