eval, load and -l

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: eval, load and -l
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 13:42:13 +0200

If I understand the Emacs and Lisp reference manuals correctly, I expect
that, when I have a file foo.el containing Lisp code, the following
procedures should produce the same results:

1. emacs -Q
   C-x C-f foo.el RET
   M-x eval-buffer RET

2. emacs -Q
   M-x load-file RET foo.el RET

3. emacs -Q -l foo.el

But I have code where the result of doing 1 or 2 differs from the result
of doing 3.  This is the sexp attached to this posting:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-07/msg00154.html

As I noted there, when I evaluate the code in a running Emacs session,
i.e. as in 1 or 2, I see frame-widening; but when I load the code by
doing 3, there is no frame-widening.  Is this difference expected, and
if so could someone point me to the relevant documentation or part of
the code that makes the difference?

Steve Berman