Display test suite

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Display test suite
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 11:47:54 -0400

On 2016-07-07 11:15, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> They also risk introducing bugs, and we don't really have a test
> suite for the display engine to be sure we didn't screw up anything.

Richard recently suggested giving Emacs the ability to take a screenshot of
itself. Could we imagine using this to run regression tests of the display
engine?

I already use a similar process in one of my packages: the idea is to script
Emacs using a simple DSL (see
https://github.com/cpitclaudel/company-coq/blob/master/etc/rebuild-screenshots.el#L419
 for an example, and
https://github.com/cpitclaudel/company-coq/blob/master/img/match-function.gif
for the output), and record a screenshot after each command; then, I use these
images to generate the README page on
https://github.com/cpitclaudel/company-coq/. Since these images are checked in,
any time a change has visible consequences I see it immediately, and I can use
ImageMagick to get a visual diff.

Of course, it could be hard to get screeenshots to looks exactly the same for
everyone. Instead, we could have a makefile target that builds a large
collection of these screenshots, and another one that rebuilds it and compares
against a previously generated one.

Clément.