¬ notation for not? Ref: Add a couple cells to lisp-prettify-symbols-ali

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: ¬ notation for not? Ref: Add a couple cells to lisp-prettify-symbols-alist
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 04:44:51 +0000

Hi Mark,

While I have never seen the ¬ character before, I was even more surprised that that was set as a notation for 'not'. With this commit ( http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=bdda4855c635ecf4135e23321bdba023e9ae65c9 ), now all instances of not are replaced with ¬ in lisp-mode if symbol prettification is enabled.

It seems a bit intrusive because I have never seen that notation before. While I do know the sqrt notation √, I can imagine this being a source of confusion/annoyance for some people.

Should these notations be instead suggested in the doc-string of lisp-prettify-symbols-alist? People interested to see these notations can then add that to their personal configs.

What do you think?

Kaushal Modi