Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 18:15:51 +0300

> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 12:56:34 +0100
>
> I would suggest not the idea was not to no longer require changelog
> format, but to replace it with something else.

No one suggested any particular format, the only suggestion was to
relax the current requirements, AFAIR.

> There are two main problems with ChangeLog format -- first, it's just a
> bit of a pain splitting the information into changes associated with
> individual functions.

Stefan mention the feature of diff-mode, which IMO is very convenient
if you run it on the output of "git diff" or something similar.

> The second, more substantive issue, is that it focuses the mind too
> much on how we have changed things rather than why, at least in my
> experience.

It's up to us.  Just to show you a random example to the contrary:

  commit fbfd4787fbec11fe69f5e661e7c5ab4436f7cb72
  Author: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
  Date:   Tue May 24 19:04:16 2016 +0300

      Avoid aborting due to errors in arguments of 'set-face-attribute'

      * src/xfaces.c (Finternal_set_lisp_face_attribute): Check the
      FRAME argument before using it.  This avoids gratuitous aborts in
      Emacs built with --enable-checking when the luser was unlucky
      enough to get the argument list in wrong order.

You will find quite a few similar examples in Paul's commits, for
example.