Re: [elpa] master 65ee800 1/3: Merge in changes from GNU Elpa subtree

From: Matthew Carter
Subject: Re: [elpa] master 65ee800 1/3: Merge in changes from GNU Elpa subtree
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 13:35:15 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>     None of the subtree commands seem to properly merge subtree back
>>     upstream into the repository, so manually handle it here.
>
> Indeed, the 2-way synchronization is a bit inconvenient with subtrees.
> You might be able to use something like "git subtree split" to get
> something you can then merge into your upstream tree, but AFAIK it will
> not always DTRT.
>

>         Stefan

Thanks Stefan, I'll have to give that a whirl next time.

I spent a few hours tinkering with various combinations of git subtree
pushes and pulls to no real avail in an attempt to actually merge the
commits from the ELPA repository to my remote (where the subtree pulls
from) without any success, and eventually conceded that I would just
have to duplicate the work manually in the remote.

Next time it comes up, I'll report back on how "git subtree split"
performs.

--
Matthew Carter (address@hidden)
http://ahungry.com