Re: About the 'minibuffer' frame parameter

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: About the 'minibuffer' frame parameter
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2016 18:37:50 +0200

>> I'm not sure how to deal with this situation.  Personally, I'd prefer to
>> report the real, internal 'minibuffer' parameter but am afraid that
>> might break existing code.
>
> You mean, you think there's some code out there that expects to
> receive nil in that case?  Do we have any code in our tree that might
> expect that?

I'm afraid so, yes.  Otherwise this rigmarole would hardly make sense.

But I haven't checked all places because I rather soonish stumbled upon
things like

(eq (cdr (or (assq 'minibuffer initial-frame-alist)
             (assq 'minibuffer window-system-frame-alist)
             (assq 'minibuffer default-frame-alist)
             '(minibuffer . t)))
    t)

in ‘frame-notice-user-settings’.  And one revealing comment is in
‘set-frame-configuration’:

               ;; Since we can't set a frame's minibuffer status,
               ;; we might as well omit the parameter altogether.

>> In any case, the documentation should be fixed.  Somehow.
>
> Before fixing the docs we should decide what the code should do.

That's what I tried to initiate.  Is there anyone out there who has an
idea how the 'minibuffer' parameter should be set and used?  Maybe
nobody uses them any more.

martin