Re: hebrew: bold face odd when using the monospace font.

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: hebrew: bold face odd when using the monospace font.
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 14:33:27 +0600

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> wrote:

>    > So here you are: you get DejaVu Sans, not DejaVu Sans Mono, for Hebrew.
>
> Yep but strangely enough for no hebrew I obtain
>
> ,----
> |             character: A (displayed as A) (codepoint 65, #o101, #x41)
> |               display: by this font (glyph code)
> |     xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans
> Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-19-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x24)
> `----

Nothing strange here: DejaVu Sans Mono *does* cover Latin, so when you
ask for DejaVu Sans Mono, you get what you ask for.

On the other hand, with Hebrew, you ask for DejaVu Sans Mono, you get
another font that covers Hebrew. (The alternative would be that you
get exactly what you ask for and any characters that the font does not
cover would be displayed as empty squares, � replacement characters or
other unintelligible things.)