Re: Don't complain about changed file when it hasn't changed

From: Rolf Ade
Subject: Re: Don't complain about changed file when it hasn't changed
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 03:23:02 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 20:29:42 -0400
>>
>> The patch below is supposed to change Emacs such that if the file's
>> timestamp has changed, but the contents is still the same, it doesn't
>> prompt the user about a supersession-threat.
>
> Thanks.  Can you describe the use case(s) where this is important?

Version control.

I'm using fossil. It happens (often enough) that I switch branch and a
file. opened in my long running emacs session get modified on disk. I
work on other files of that branch and switch back. Now I modifiy the
buffer connected to that back and forth and get alerted: Buffer modfied
on disk.

While this is easily worked out (revert-buffer), it is an interuption,
an irritation.

The alert is only necessary, if buffer content and file content differ.
Often (very often) buffer content and file content differ, if their last
modification differ. But sometimes (and not only in theory, but in real
workflows) the last modification differ, but buffer content and file
content do not.