Re: Don't complain about changed file when it hasn't changed

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Don't complain about changed file when it hasn't changed
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 13:16:45 -0400

>> >  -- Function: ask-user-about-supersession-threat filename
>> >      This function is used to ask a user how to proceed after an attempt
>> >      to modify an buffer visiting file FILENAME when the file is newer
>> >      than the buffer text.  Emacs detects this because the modification
>> >      time of the file on disk is newer than the last save-time of the
>> >      buffer.  This means some other program has probably altered the
>> >      file.
>>
>> > Some of that will no longer be accurate once we install your changes.
>>
>> Hmm... actually, this documentation is still valid, because it specifies
>> when the function is called (which is not changed by my patch) rather
>> than what the function does.

> We are splitting hair.

> The problematic place (for me) is the "modification time of the file
> on disk is newer", which implies that this is the only test for the
> detection of supersession-threat.

No, it is the only test made before calling this function (indeed, the
function doesn't make any such test).  My patch doesn't affect this: the
only test performed before calling this function is still the
modtime test.

It's important to know where the test is performed because:

    This function is called automatically by Emacs on the proper
    occasions.  It exists so you can customize Emacs by redefining it.
    See the file @file{userlock.el} for the standard definition.

So if you want to "update the doc" here, we'd have to actually state
what the standard definition does (we currently don't do actually that).

        Stefan