Re: Too many warnings building Emacs with GCC 6 on MSYS2-MinGW64

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Too many warnings building Emacs with GCC 6 on MSYS2-MinGW64
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 20:19:20 +0300

> Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 17:17:35 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> The prototype that fixes this, with 'int' as the return value, is
> wrong, and is IMO a MinGW64 GCC bug which should be reported.
> intptr_t is a 64-bit type in MinGW64, while int is still 32 bits.  By
> enforcing the wrong type, GCC contradicts MinGW64's own library
> headers.

Actually, I see now that the prototype of execve in MinGW64 library
headers does match the builtin, and that of _execve doesn't (although
if the library function execve is called, it will call _execve).  So I
guess it's not a bug, strictly speaking, but a kludgey misfeature, and
a deviation from mingw.org's MinGW headers.