Re: grep-command: Ignore case if case-fold-search is non-nil

From: Tino Calancha
Subject: Re: grep-command: Ignore case if case-fold-search is non-nil
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 00:10:22 +0900 (JST)

From: Tino Calancha <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 18:31:03 +0900 (JST)
Cc: address@hidden

Do you think `grep-compute-defaults' should add '-i', i.e., ignore case,
in the default `grep-command' when `case-fold-search' is non-nil?

case-fold-search defaults to non-nil, so this would make "M-x grep"
case-insensitive for many users.  I'm not sure they will like it.
case-insensitive searches is a great default: it maximize the search space, no worries to missing a match.

More generally, it is not clear to me that a the connection between
the buffer from which "M-x grep" is invoked and the search is strong
enough to make the Grep search "inherit" the case-sensitivity of
buffer searches.
It's not totally clear to me either, but it's not lacking of some logic;
and if one user want 100% control s?he can customize `grep-command':  I do
it in order to pass the flag -I.  I prefer to ignore the binary files.