Re: network process timeouts

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: network process timeouts
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 14:54:22 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> If I've missed existing functionality to do network timeouts, please let
> me know.

Timeout parameters would be nice, but you end up having to do some kind
of "global" timeout anyway, so in many cases it's surprisingly
non-useful.  :-)

For instance, I'm writing a little module now that connects to my
wifi-enabled camera, and if it's up, downloads any new images that exist
there, and inserts them into the current buffer.

The number of things that may time out is rather large.  The initial
connection (if the camera isn't on), fetching the table of contents,
and fetching the actual image.  What you end up having to do, since this
should all happen asynchronously anyway, is to start a non-blocking
connect, and then see what happens: Having the timeout as a connection
parameter doesn't really help here (since things may time out after
connection, if, for instance, the camera switches itself off after the
handshake has been completed).