Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 15:55:01 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

> PL> This is my interest really. I want to be able to use package.el format in
> PL> core, put packages both in core and on ELPA, and not have ELPA packages
> PL> tightly tied to core release cycle. At the moment, these are either not
> PL> possible or a PITA.
>
> I hadn't thought of package.el and core packages.  What would the value be?

 1) Neatness -- package.el format puts all the files that provide one
 piece of functionality in one place.

 2) Familiarity -- most Emacs-lisp developers are familiar with
 package.el format. Tools like Cask and elpakit work with it.

 3) Sharing -- if they are in the same format, packages can easily be
 kept on ELPA and in core, and there is a clean migration path.

Phil