Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 11:49:52 +0100

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> I would like to not add any new core libraries, until the day we need to
>> depend upon them from other core libraries. New development, as much as
>> possible, should be directed to ELPA. The whole point of this new ELPA reorg
>> is that, by making it easy to include ELPA code in the distribution, there
>> is no longer any real reason to pull new code into core.  The core of what
>> Emacs does changes relatively little from version to version.
>
> I hope that:
>
> 1. The Lisp code distributed with Emacs will continue to include all
>    that has been included before, so users do not need to use package.el
>    etc. to obtain any of it.

I am suggesting that we enable the use of package.el as part of the
Emacs build to compile and generate the autoloads for packages in Emacs
core.

> 2. All Emacs Lisp code, apart from 3rd-party libraries, will continue
>    to be available in .../lisp/, so users can easily grep for it and
>    use `M-x find-library', without messing with packages.

This, I am suggesting we change, so that we have two locations for lisp
packages dependent on their file organisation. The lisp code will still
be available, though.

> 3. The source-code directory structure under .../lisp/ does not become
>    any, or much, deeper.  So far, *.el, */*.el, and */*/*.el are
>    sufficient.

I would not want to change this.

Phil