Re: Should `position' be implemented in Emacs core and preloaded?

From: Tino Calancha
Subject: Re: Should `position' be implemented in Emacs core and preloaded?
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 00:37:12 +0900 (JST)

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, Stefan Monnier wrote:

II) Alternatively, they could be implemented in a lighter
    lib; i guess the natural candidate is seq.el.
    Note that this lib already has `seq-position'.

I consider seq.el as "core" already.  Actually, I also consider
cl-lib as "core".  The fact that you have to rite (require <..>) is
fairly secondary.
Yes, you are right.  Of course, they are core Emacs.
What i meant is that it would be nice if people could use that kind of useful functions without face resistances. I saw before
in this list people who wanted to use a function from cl-lib or seq.el,
and they received objections because that would force that file to
require such lib.

I think sooner or later, these libraries will be preloaded (not sure
which of the two will get there first, tho).
That sounds interesting.
Also, FWIW, I don't see many uses of these cl/seq-position functions
in Emacs, so I'm not sure how important they are, really.
I suspect that one important reason to not appear widely is exactly
that in order to use them we need to require the lib to use it.  Probably
if `member' would be just an alias to `cl-member', we wouldn't see it
as many times as we can see it now in Emacs tree.  I bet that if we follow
the I) above, we will start to see many uses of those functions in the new
code.