kill-this-buffer, perhaps doc issue

From: Andrés Ramírez
Subject: kill-this-buffer, perhaps doc issue
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2016 10:39:21 -0500

Hi.

The other day I got a nice tip from:
http://irreal.org/blog/?p=5585

my function used to be this one:
(defun emacswikino/kill-a-buffer (askp)
  (interactive "P")
  (if askp
      (call-interactively #'ido-kill-buffer)
    (kill-this-buffer)))

(global-set-key (kbd "C-x k") 'emacswikino/kill-a-buffer)  ;; (behavior imp)
used to be kill-buffer

It worked nice at the beginning. But after coming back from machine
hibernation "C-x k" stopped working. At that time I reverted back to the
old behaviour. But yesterday I digged a little bit about it. And found
this, which is related:
https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/issues/4929

Specifically this couple of comments:
I only did a shallow research. It seems that menu-updating-frame points to an
invisible frame, but I guess its value should be nil. Perhaps the
persistent-server
feature works by creating an invisible frame, and that's what confuses
menu-updating-frame? Does this bug happen only with the persistent-server
enabled?

Anyway, it looks like kill-this-buffer is intended to be used only from the
menu-bar. We probably should use a different function. I don't think
evil-delete-buffer is
good, because it also closes the window (if there's more than 1 window). It
shouldn't be too hard to find a suitable function, or write one, if somebody is
up to it.

👍 2

@bluesd
bluesd commented May 26, 2016

At least for me happens only with the dotspacemacs-persistent-server enabled
AND only if you close (SPC q z) the first emacs you invoke. After that, the
current
and future emacsclient -c never return when closing the frame, leaving the
terminal "Waiting for emacs..." without resuming to shell.

Also, in this "state", if you attempt to SPC q Q, the first time doesn't work
at all and you get the following legend: "Attempt to delete the sole visible or
iconified
frame". (I think this one's only appearing in Linux).

First comment. Is kill-this-buffer intended for being used just from the
menu? If the answer is yes then the docs need an improvement. It happens
with 25.1

Second comment. Sometimes I have got "Attempt to delete the sole visible
or iconified frame". Is this related to the same issue?

Finally that snippet ended like this:
(defun emacswikino/kill-a-buffer (askp)
  (interactive "P")
  (if askp