Re: Concurrency, again

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Concurrency, again
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 18:03:15 -0400

  > > It would not be necessary to allow two ordinary Lisp programs to run
  > > in parallel.  In other words, it would be ok if Emacs allowed only one
  > > ordinary program at any time -- alongside any number of special
  > > asynchronous programs.

  > That's what the code on the "concurrency" branch of the Emacs
  > repository does -- except that (1) it doesn't allow you to create
  > special asynchronous programs at all, and (2) it is capable of
  > switching to another ordinary Lisp program when the current one is
  > waiting for something (e.g., keyboard input or subprocess output), or
  > explicitly yields to another.

(2) is a source of possible conflicts between various programs; I
suspect that lots of bugs could result.  Are such bugs why the
"concurrency" branch is not ready?

To limit concurrency to specially designated programs
might make it easier to avoid those problems.  Those programs
could conceivably be written following certain special rules
that avoid the bugs.

--
Dr Richard Stallman