Re: When should ralloc.c be used?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: When should ralloc.c be used?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 13:15:15 +0300

> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 09:54:12 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> And maybe there are other possibilities.  We really need to come up
> with all the possible ideas, try which ones work, and decide as
> quickly as possible what is the best one.  This currently is the most
> serious blocking issue on the way towards releasing Emacs 25.2 soon,
> as we wanted to.

So I think the most promising alternatives at this point are:

  . Build with gmalloc but without ralloc.

    Would people who have ralloc.o in their src directory please
    reconfigure with REL_ALLOC=no, and see if the result works
    reliably in you're day-to-day work?  Please report the results
    here, and if you were hit by one of the related bugs (24358 and
    24764), please report also to the corresponding bug addresses.

  . Back-port the HYBRID_MALLOC changes from master.  Not sure if the
    patch is simple and safe enough, or whether the result is tested
    well enough to have that on emacs-25.

If one of these works, we should consider reverting the changes in
regex.c that attempt to handle relocation during regex.c calls.  We
should also consider removing ralloc.c from any of our builds, in the
hope that the platforms which we care about have a much better malloc
implementation than what was available 20 years ago.

Comments?