Re: When should ralloc.c be used? (WAS: bug#24358)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: When should ralloc.c be used? (WAS: bug#24358)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 23:38:41 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:
  > > Should we talk with them about putting in those hooks or other
  > > suitable hooks?  Then we could go back to the libc malloc.

  > I think we tried, and more or less failed.  (That was in the context
  > of unexec, but the arguments are more or less similar.)

How did it fail?  Did they give it a strong try?

It was more the other way around. People working on the glibc memory allocator convinced me that the malloc hooks were a significant impediment to performance improvements within glibc, and that Emacs unexec didn't really need those hooks any more. Emacs was the only major user of that part of the old glibc API.

For those interested in GNU malloc performance improvements, a talk related to the current effort is scheduled a week from Thursday in Santa Fe. Please see:

O'Donell C. linux and glibc: The 4.5TiB malloc API trace. LPC 2016. https://linuxplumbersconf.org/2016/ocw/proposals/3921