Re: Can we go GTK-only?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Can we go GTK-only?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 17:57:51 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 19:57:31 -0400
> Cc: Ken Raeburn <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Good, point we can decouple the two a bit more this way.  Actually, we
> already have this copy since we have 2 sets of matrices.  So we just
> need to say that the "current matrix" belongs to the GUI thread/process,
> while the "desired matrix" belongs to the redisplay.  And the "send
> a copy" is done by comparing the two, so only the part that changed is
> sent (and so the GUI thread gets to know which part needs to be redrawn).

This will need some very careful design, because currently the data
structures we pass the terminal-specific backend is intimately tied up
to information known only to the display engine, like the faces
(identified just by their numbers), the font and font driver to use,
the window and the frame where to draw the glyphs, etc.  Dividing this
between 2 threads, let alone processes, is not easy.