Re: tabulated-list: extend truncation into next align-right col

From: Tino Calancha
Subject: Re: tabulated-list: extend truncation into next align-right col
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 12:31:42 +0900 (JST)

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016, Stefan Monnier wrote:

+  ;; TODO: don't truncate to `width' if the next column is align-right
+  ;; and has some space left.
[...]
+(defvar-local tabulated-list--col-max-widths nil

By "some space left" I meant "in the current line", so there shouldn't be
any need to compute the maximum width.
Yeah, but we must preserve the legibility of the table.

If we calculate the maximum widths and we restrict the
truncation until one well-defined limit, then the table
looks nicer.

For instance, compare following two tables:

;; Without computing maximum widths:
C1  C2                                       Numbers

;; With `tabulated-list--col-max-widths':
C1  C2                                       Numbers

With many rows this effect might have an impact on table
readability.