Re: lldb support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: lldb support
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 17:57:48 +0200

> From: Toon Claes <address@hidden>
> Cc: "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 10:33:41 +0100
>
> > Daniel said lldb supports the MI protocol.  If that is true, lldb is
> > already supported.  Can someone try that and see if that works, and if
> > not, tell why?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> The tool `lldb-mi` is not installed on macOS by default (on 10.11 El Capitan
> that is). But it can be installed with Homebrew.
>
>     brew install llvm --with-lldb --with-clang
>
> But that is outside the question.
> I tried to use it:
>
>     M-x gud-gdb /usr/local/opt/llvm/bin/lldb-mi hello
>
> and when setting a breakpoint I got the following error:
>
>     error: command 'breakpoint' did not recognize 'hello .swift:28' as valid
> (subcommand might be invalid).
>     ambiguous command 'break'. Possible completions:
>       breakpoint
>
> So, no, it is not working at the moment.

Thanks.

"M-x gud-gdb" doesn't use the MI protocol, so this is not the command
that should be used to probe that.

Instead, please invoke "M-x gdb RET".  It will suggest a command line
that assumes GDB; please change it as lldb-mi requires.

If that starts okay and succeeds to load the debuggee, please see if
the basic features work: setting breakpoints by clicking on the
fringe, running the program from the tool-bar buttons and from the GUD
buffer, displaying the various windows ("M-x gdb-many-windows"), etc.

Thanks again.