Re: lldb support

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: lldb support
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 17:25:56 -0500

  > What is wrong with replacing a GNU package with a non-GNU
  > package which is free software?

  > How is it a loss for GNU?

It's clear that the replacement of any GNU package is bad for the GNU
Project, even in cases where it is not an injustice.

However, it is misleading to say that GDB would be replaced with other
free software.  There is a program called lldb which is free, but
since it is not copylefted, we must expect it to be the core of a
collection of software _some of which is nonfree_.

In the case of GDB, the corresponding collection has to be free
software, due to the GNU GPL.

A noncopylefted free program is not ipso facto an injustice, but it
fails to resist injustice.  Replacing a copylefted free program with a
noncopylefted free program opens a door to nonfree software, where
previously we resisted it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman