Re: A question about overlay-modification

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A question about overlay-modification
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 18:57:52 +0200

> From: Joakim Jalap <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 13:42:24 +0100
>
> To me that looks like the insert-in-front-hooks get run for overlays
> which start either at START or END, not only those which start at
> END. Likewise (but the other way around) for insert-behind-hooks.

Right.  But why do you think it's a problem?

> What am I missing here?

Not sure.  Possible candidates:

  . without the code you cite, overlays ending exactly at START and
    starting exactly at END won't get their hooks called (see the
    condition after the snippet you show

  . some overlays (so-called "empty" overlays) start and end at the
    same buffer positions, so for them start and end positions are
    indistinguishable

> (As an aside, the doc string mentions insert-before-hooks and
> insert-after-hooks, while the code has Qinsert_in_front_hooks and
> Qinsert_behind_hooks. Is this intentional or just left overs?)

It's one of those cases where the comments lie...

Thanks.