Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 19:43:48 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 11:48:40 -0500
>
>   > Frame and window objects come back dead after being restored from the
> dump.
>
> Can that be fixed by creating new equivalent windows and frames?

I'm actually wondering why frames and windows (and buffers, for that
matter) need to be dumped at all.  The fact we do that now is just an
artifact of how unexec works: it dumps the entire data section.  We
even have special code that runs at startup to undo some of the
peculiarities this causes.

However, a dumper that we control by manually telling it what to dum
and what not doesn't have to do that.  IMO, that's just something that
doesn't need to exist in the brave new unexec-free world.  (Note that
the "one huge .elc file" method has this built-in.)