Re: Is it the 40th Anniversary of Emacs

From: Jason Martens
Subject: Re: Is it the 40th Anniversary of Emacs
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 18:32:02 -0500

> On Dec 8, 2016, at 1:26 PM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> How 'bout December 32, then?

If Dan Weinreb is correct, the proper birthdate of Emacs is November 10, 1976.

Courtesy of the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120909104608/http://danweinreb.org/blog/rebuttal-to-stallmans-story-about-the-formation-of-symbolics-and-lmi#comment-65

On November 10:

address@hidden 11/10/76 21:46:03
To: EAK at MIT-AI, CBF at MIT-AI, GLS at MIT-AI, ED at MIT-AI
To: DLW at MIT-AI, MOON at MIT-AI
Unless anyone can think of a better idea, I think we should
rename ? to E.

address@hidden 11/10/76 21:49:07
To: MOON ay MIT-AI, DLW at MIT-AI, ED at MIT-AI, GLS at MIT-AI
To: CBF at MIT-AI, EAK at MIT-AI, RMS at MIT-AI
Another idea is to call it formally “QMARK” with a link
existing for “QM” .

Comment: Note that MOON is among the interested parties. Most of
these addressees were implementors of macro packages that were
predecessors of ?MACS and had user constituencies.

address@hidden 11/11/76 14:43:03
To: MOON ay MIT-AI, DLW at MIT-AI, ED at MIT-AI, GLS at MIT-AI
To: CBF at MIT-AI, EAK at MIT-AI, RMS at MIT-AI
Well, for hack value TS ? ought to exist (yes, you CAN
get DDT to load it under that name!), but E is a good
abbreviation.

Comment: Finally, I capitulate on the name (thank goodness).

Later that day:

address@hidden 11/11/76 16:39:50