Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 61f8c23 1/2: Minor advice.el fix

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 61f8c23 1/2: Minor advice.el fix
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 08:40:24 -0500

>     * lisp/emacs-lisp/advice.el (ad-preactivate-advice):
>     Avoid setting the function definition of nil.
>     This was happening during bootstrap of org-compat.el,
>     apparently due to eager macro expansion of code behind
>     a (featurep 'xemacs) test.

Really, I think this business of "disallow fset of nil" is a big waste
of time and will just lead to more pain than gain.

There are umpteen different ways for the user to shoot himself in the
foot.  This one is not even fatal.

Should we also disallow (fset 'car nil)?  How 'bout (fset 'car #'cdr)?

        Stefan