Re: lldb support

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: lldb support
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2016 15:43:25 -0500

I've been delayed a long time in responding to that discussion
because I was busy.

  > > When the developers of a free program decide which features to include,
  > > including which platforms or interoperation to support, the question at
  > > stake is not what uses to _allow_, but rather which uses to _facilitate_.

  > I do see what you mean. If a volunteer is willing to give us code to support
  > using lldb, does it then become a question of which uses to _not
facilitate_?

Yes, it does.  The question is which uses the package should facilitate
and which uses the package should not facilitate.

  > That's really what I reacting to. I totally understand not *making an
effort*
  > to support something that might inhibit the growth of gdb; but if we're in
the
  > position of receiving code to support lldb, then should the same argument be
  > used to deny its acceptance.

Who wrote the code is not the issue.  The issue is, do we want to HAVE
code in Emacs to do that particular thing.

I am not sure whether the this particular feature is a significant
issue.  Maybe it is a minor issue; maybe there is no real need to
refuse to facilitate using LLDB in this particular way.

--
Dr Richard Stallman