Re: [elpa] master 580a1b6: Respect .elpaignore when compiling and optimi

From: Jackson Ray Hamilton
Subject: Re: [elpa] master 580a1b6: Respect .elpaignore when compiling and optimize compilation.
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 11:57:22 -0800

> I haven't looked at the performance side of this.  It just seemed simpler.

I say we keep it as-is, as my reading of the current commands is simpler
than the way I read this alternative.  Compare the way I read it: "Make
a tar archive and list its contents."  Versus: "Execute tar with verbose
output, which happens to only include the files packaged, also that
output needs to be redirected from stderr to stdout for make to process
it, also bury the archive contents in /dev/null so as not to interfere
with the redirected verbose output."

> No, I was rather wondering if this behavior is documented or just accidental.

Although I do not see an example of an explicitly mentioned file
argument used with an exclusion flag in the tar manual, the language of
the manual suggests that this should work:

>  `--exclude-from=file'
> `-X file'
>
>     Causes tar to ignore files that match the patterns listed in file.

"Files" ought to include explicitly mentioned files.

Also, I've attached a patch for the "pwd-based exclusions" issue I
mentioned in my last email.  I checked the timing on it, and it only
reduces the speed of "make" with nothing to do by about 50ms.  Does it
look good to you?

Jackson