Re: official Emacs Docker image

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: official Emacs Docker image
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2017 10:03:50 +0100

Elias Mårtenson <address@hidden> writes:

> On 1 January 2017 at 06:04, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > However, I don't see any ethical issue about making and distributing
>> > Docker images of Emacs as long as we get the details right: for
>> > instance, use an endorsed free GNU/Linux distro.
>>
>> We could use Guix to generate the image contents from scratch, i.e. we
>> wouldn’t even have to use a “base image” (usually a minimal GNU/Linux
>> system).  The idea is to export the package closure for the “emacs”
>> package from the Guix store (this includes all runtime dependencies) and
>> wrap up the files in a plain docker image.
>>

> Arguably there should be a fully free distribution that could be the base
> for more than just Emacs.

GuixSD is a fully free GNU distribution and it comes with the tools that
are needed to determine runtime dependencies that can then turned into a
Docker image.  Since Guix is a functional package manager and thus can
account for the full closure of a package it doesn’t require a base
image and can be the base itself.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
http://elephly.net