Re: Better screenshot of Emacs on the homepage

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Better screenshot of Emacs on the homepage
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 21:20:48 +0700

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 7:47 PM, Nicolas Petton <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't have a hidpi display, so if you see other places
> where images look blurry, please tell me.

I do. (For reference, it’s a 24-inch Dell, 3840×2180 device pixels,
with X configured for 192 dppi.) Here’s a summary of what I see now on
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/:

+ The GNU logo at the top (gnu.transparent.png) is crisp, being 100×98
physical pixels and displayed in a 34-pixel height.

* The Emacs logo (emacs.png) is 128×128 displayed in a 100px height.
The edges of the stylized E are a bit blurry. A 200×200 rasterization
or an SVG image would be better.

− The screenshot (teaser.png) is 962×659, displayed at natural size if
space permits, or downscaled to the available width. Definitely blurry
even in a half-screen browser window (960 CSS pixels, 1920 device
pixels).

− Mini-screenshots in the features section. With natural size 200×199
and display size 27% of a 960px container (≈260px), these will be
blurry even on a normal pixel density screen. At 960px and narrower,
they downscale proportionally. At a viewport width of 841 CSS pixels,
they are displayed in a 204px width each (still >100% zoom on a normal
screen). At 840px and below, responsiveness kicks in and each
mini-screenshot is displayed at natural size.

− Then there are video previews. These are blurry but that may be
deliberate, depending on the frame size of the actual videos.

− Lastly, the Free Software Foundation logo (fsf.png), 343×40,
displayed at natural size. This would also benefit from being
rasterized at 200% or included as an SVG.