Re: The current state of the comment-cache branch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: The current state of the comment-cache branch
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 23:28:08 -0500

>>> So https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15485 is fixed?
>> No, but I'm not sure it's a bug.  It's the way `add-abbrev` works.
>> The abbrev-tables themselves don't have that restriction.
> So what does abbrev--check-chars inside define-mode-abbrev?:

add-abbrev and define-mode-abbrev: même combat!
The abbrev-tables themselves don't have that restriction.

Clearly, you've looked at the definition of define-mode-abbrev,
so I hope you realized that this definition is extremely short: it's
a very thin layer above `define-abbrev`.  Which means it'd be rather
easy to define such a layer which doesn't have those limitations
(since define-abbrev doesn't have those limitations).
Patches welcome (with appropriate paperwork, of course).

        Stefan

PS: But note that it's not quite as simple as I make it sound: in order
to define a non-word abbrev, the abbrev-table has to specify
a different :regexp property.