Re: GUI vs TTY when saving & restoring framesets

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GUI vs TTY when saving & restoring framesets
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 05:36:37 +0200

> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 22:15:14 +0100
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> > Given user feedback we
> > have, I think we should not create GUI frames when Emacs is invoked
> > with -nw, though, at least by default.
>
> I don't understand this. Creating GUI frames in a -nw session shouldn't
> happen. "Mimicking" the GUI frames in
> the -nw session is what the code intended to do, so if you have three frames
> of whatever size and other
> parameters, the TTY session would start with three tty frames (F1 to F3).
> Then going back to GUI mode would
> restore the original GUI frames (not the tty ones).

That's fine with me, but if you read bug#17693, you will see that the
original report there explicitly describes a situation where GUI
frames were created by restoring desktop in a -nw session.  I thought
this was a feature, but if you say it's a bug, fixing it will fulfill
user expectations.

> > . emacs
> > . emacs -nw
> > . emacs
>
> That is exactly what worked before (or, at least, it worked in all my tests)
> and it's broken now.

Because the original code had worse problems, and we didn't know how
to fix it better than that.