Re: "Like `let*' but ....."

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: "Like `let*' but ....."
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 20:31:13 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 00:08:01 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:

[ .... ]

> BTW, regarding the big pcase-let* in byte-compile-file-form-defalias,
> it was partly an experiment in the use of pcase patterns.

> OT1H I'm not convinced the result speaks very much in favor of pcase,
> OTOH if you try to rewrite this code without pcase it's not
> pretty either.

> I'll read it for you:

>            ;; `macro' is non-nil if it defines a macro.
>            ;; `fun' is the function part of `arg' (defaults to `arg').
>            (((or (and (or `(cons 'macro ,fun) `'(macro . ,fun)) (let macro t))
>                  (and (let fun arg) (let macro nil)))
>              arg)

> This part binds two vars: `fun` and `macro`.
> Basically, it binds `fun` to the value of `arg` except that if `arg` is
> a "macro value", `fun` gets the value of the macro's function (and
> `macro` gets value t rather than nil).

OK, I think I might have got the semantics now.  The `arg' at the end of
that thing is the object upon which the pcase pattern at the beginning
of it acts on.  The `or's and `and's are pcase ones, not the primitives.
The variables which are bound are precisely the cadrs of the three
element lists beginning `(let ...)', none of the variables bound in the
pcase form surviving after that form terminates.  Er, actually that
isn't true, looking at `lam' in the next bit.  Variables bound within
the pcase pattern remain bound over the entire pcase-let* form (unless,
of course, a subsequent binding rebinds the same symbol).

Am I right?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).