Re: Disable emacs-diffs mails for scratch branches

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Disable emacs-diffs mails for scratch branches
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 21:09:10 -0500

>>> Subject says it all. Could we please do that? I think it's pretty normal
>>> for scratch-Branches being deleted and pushed anew, and for large
>>> branches like cedet-merge or cedet-tests this needlessly creates
>>> hundreds of mails each time.
>> I agree that those 300 emails dumps are more annoying than useful.
>> But FWIW, I see two problems with your suggestion:
>> 1- I don't know how to do it.
> We'd have to adapt the post-receive hook, or whatever else is triggering
> the mails.

Yes, that much I know, but I also know that we don't have direct access
to it.  So it depends on Savannah admins, and if I was them I wouldn't
just accept random patches, since AFAIK they use an existing mail-hook
and so they probably want to stay close to the upstream version to be
able to incorporate future changes.

So, we should figure out exactly what choices we have available.

>> 2- I do find it very useful to see commits on scratch branches when
>> those branches are used for gradual development (e.g. the byte-switch
>> branch).
> How about simply not naming those branches with the 'scratch' prefix,
> then?  I was under the impression that 'scratch' means "can be
> force-pushed/deleted any time, don't base your work onto it".

AFAICT the byte-switch does belong to scratch.  Being able/allowed to
force-push/delete doesn't mean that you have to do it all the time.

        Stefan