RE: Compiled code in Emacs-26 will fail in Emacs-25 if use pcase [was: A

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Compiled code in Emacs-26 will fail in Emacs-25 if use pcase [was: Add new bytecode op `switch' for implementing branch tables.]
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 11:00:31 -0800 (PST)

>  > > Really? What should we be using, and when was defsubst deprecated?
>  >
>  > defun or defmacro
>  >
>  > It has not been deprecated.
>  >
>  > I was expressing my opinion: It's rarely, if ever, needed,
>  > and misguided uses of it instead of defun are bothersome.
>
> Please separate your personal opinion from fact.

I just did.  But I should have added "IMHO" to my original message.
I agree that it could have been misinterpreted as a statement of
fact, that defsubst has been deprecated.  That's why I followed up
with a clarification.

> And asserting that using defsubst is "misguided "  is not a useful
> way of carrying on a conversation.

I did not say that defsubst is "misguided".  I said that misguided
uses of it instead of defun are bothersome.  Which they are (IMHO).

There may be uses of it that are still justified.  I'm not aware of
any, but it's not impossible that there still are some.

As a general guideline I think my suggestion (opinion) is reasonable:
We should no longer be using defsubst.  Feel free to point to specific
exceptions.