Re: [Emacs-diffs] master fd8f724: * src/xdisp.c (overlay_arrows_changed_

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master fd8f724: * src/xdisp.c (overlay_arrows_changed_p): Fix last change.
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 17:32:52 -0500

>> > Isn't it easier to keep the record of changes in these variables in
>> > the buffer object, like we do with BUF_MODIFF etc.?
>> I don't understand the question.  Which "these variables" are you
>> talking about?
> The 3 variables related to overlay-arrow whose changes need to trigger
> redisplay of the respective buffers: overlay-arrow-position,
> overlay-arrow-string, and overlay-arrow-bitmap.

But that means we need to watch variable assignments, marker
modifications, and symbol property modifications.  Using overlays gets
us all this "for free" because we already watch all overlay modifications.

The issue of where to store the "record of change" is actually rather
minor (we currently store it in a global var and that's a bug, but
fixing it is fairly easy).

        Stefan