Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 13:06:14 -0400

> And just yesterday I was thinking how convenient — and surprising — it was
> that we didn’t have to dump out any obarray objects; oh well.  Unless we’re
> going to arrange for obarrays to be printable and readable in a useful form,
> they’ll need special-casing.  But abbrev variables should be easy enough to
> recognize and process.  I’ll take a look.

My personal favorite choice is to deprecate obarrays (most uses would
be better served by a hash-table), but getting rid of them completely is
rather tricky.  So we probably want to solve the obarray problem
regardless of whether we deprecate them.

It seems fairly, easy, tho:
- add a `make-obarray` function, which basically does the same as
  `make-vector` but uses another tag.  Use it in abbrev.el (and other
  applicable places).
- change `intern` and friends to accept those other kinds of vectors.
- change print.c to do something more clever with obarrays.
- deprecate use of plain vectors as obarrays.

I'm in the mood for procrastinating, so don't be surprised if a patch
shows up,

        Stefan