Re: ENWC Development

From: Ian Dunn
Subject: Re: ENWC Development
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 21:06:20 -0400

Hey Everyone,

    I recently pushed an update to ENWC that implements network interface
selection, using either the 'ip' or 'ifconfig' programs.  This will run in
`enwc-setup', which runs as part of the first run of `enwc'.  As of right now,
these changes don't persist between Emacs sessions.

    The ultimate goal of ENWC is to allow a user to set up a new network
profile from scratch.  This has always been part of my goal with ENWC, but due
to the differing ways in which Wicd and NetworkManager handled this, and my
short-sighted initial design, I couldn't figure out a solution.

    Thank you to everyone that's helped with testing so far.  My goal for the
2.0 release is to have ENWC using the NetworkManager backend to connect to a
wired or wireless network for which a profile already exists.  So far, wireless
seems to be working; not so much wired.  I hope to have that up and running
within the week, and 2.0 released by the end of the month.

    The 3.0 release will see a new profile interface, and working
NetworkManager and Wicd backends.  I don't have an estimate for how long this
will take.  As always, I'm open to input and feedback.

--
Ian Dunn