Re: Change Tramp syntax

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Change Tramp syntax
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2017 21:12:45 +0200

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

Hi John,

> MA> "user@" would still be optional. So yes, "/host:" is valid in this special
> MA> syntax.
>
> If that can be the case, all my objections go away. Let me know if I can help
> with testing.

I've pushed a patch to master which shall allow you to change your Tramp
syntax. Put something like this in your .emacs:

(tramp-change-syntax 'ftp)

That's it, you have ange-ftp syntax "/address@hidden:/path/to/file". Other
possible values are 'def (the default), which changes the syntax to
"/method:address@hidden:/path/to/file"; and 'sep (the XEmacs syntax), which
is "/[method/address@hidden/path/to/file". In all cases, the "user@" part is
optional.

You could also call interactively "M-x tramp-change-syntax" at any
time. It is autoloaded, no need to load tramp.el before.

Note, that this function kills all existing buffers with a remote
default-directory, because these buffers cannot be used anymore. Maybe I
should give the user a warning in the interactive case.

Please give it a testing. I know, at least Drew will test it as well.

There's still something to do, documentation, new test cases; but I've
pushed the code already in order to get early feedback.

Best regards, Michael.