Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make

From: Michal Nazarewicz
Subject: Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 14:18:39 +0200

On Wed, Apr 12 2017, martin rudalics wrote:
>  > Before [1: aca31e3815] a plain './autogen.sh' installed the hooks
>  > (that commit also updates the recommended way to './autogen.sh all').
>  > You probably just still have them (they're installed under .git/hooks
>  > and so they don't get removed by any usual cleaning procedure).
>  >
>  > 1: 2016-02-02 23:14:30 -0800 aca31e3815b9bd9c696cf0c74cc4a80ad7e35ec9
>  >    autogen.sh now configures git only on request
>
> I'm confused.  Doesn't this mean that many people don't really care about
> trailing whitespace?

In case of SpecialCasing.txt the file comes from outside so I cared more
about having it byte-for-byte identical with the source than removing
trailing white space.

At the same time, I’m sure many people indeed don’t care about trailing
white space.  I would wager that it’s also true within Emacs
contributors.  I care but not enough to write a pre-commit hook.

In general I find commit errors emitted by the hooks too strict.  This
is one example.

Another is length limit in commit messages.  While it makes sense for
description, it also prevents error messages to be included verbatim.
For example in 4b3db0daa65 I¹ had to edit the message to fit in the
limit.

¹ If you’re confused, the code was authored by Noam but I’ve written the
message and committed the patch.

--
Best regards
ミハウ “𝓶𝓲𝓷𝓪86” ナザレヴイツ