Re: i18n - Revisited

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: i18n - Revisited
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 00:07:13 +0900

> On Apr 27, 2017, at 21:56, Fernando Botelho <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Thanks Jean-Christophe and Paul for your responses.
>
> It is good to know that the i18n process is on-going. Is this "more languages
> group" operational via e-mail list? how can I join?

If that's a question related to my answer, I have no idea :) I know about the
French group that handles GNU programs, but I don't know if such groups exist
in other languages.

> Are there plans for l10n of the interface strings and command names, or is
> this postponed for now because of complexity?

I participated to a discussion here about that a few years ago and the answer I
got was "people who use emacs know English (or should) so there is no need for
l10n in the UI"...

> For areas where l10n is already happening, where can I join the effort, i.e.
> are there web interfaces where strings are shown and translations entered, or
> gettext/.POT files on a git repository somewhere?

As far as I can tell, this is *not* happening. You should focus on translating
documentation first, the Elisp reference, the Emacs manual, etc. Use po4a to
get PO files from the texi sources and then use the process you prefer to
translate that. I personally have created a collaborative translation project
for the elisp reference, using OmegaT as the client. It is not progressing
super fast because I'm the only one working on it. If you want to check it it's
here:

https://github.com/suzume/emacslispref

If you don't know how to use OmegaT, it won't be of much help though. OmegaT is
a free translation tool for professional translators.

> Are there "how to" guides for non-technical translators who want to help?

The problem with "non technical" translators is that then need to be minimally
technical to at least understand emacs. I really don't suggest you get the
stuff translated by people who don't at least have a minimal knowledge of emacs.

Jean-Christophe