Re: lisp/term/ns-win.el modification

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: lisp/term/ns-win.el modification
Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 09:33:16 +0300

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 07:28:04 +0900
>
> It looks like Anders found that in some cases a a non breakable space could
> be added to a string in Gmail:
>
> "I did test your patch from within gmail in Chrome. One this that I realized
> was that when typing a space, it sometimes came out as a plain space,
> sometimes as a non-breakable space. I'm not sure this is specific to the edit
> field in gmail, but I think it would ba good idea to trim both kind of
> spaces."
>
> That's the rationale.

What about other whitespace characters? can they also be added in
these scenarios?

> But as I pointed out earlier, it would also be nice to have a clear
> definition of what "trimming" a string means. It is means remove the ws at
> the beginning and end of the string then the Unicode characters for ws should
> be used.

But if these characters can appear in the string you want to have,
after "trimming", then trimming them wouldn't be correct, would it?
That's why I'm asking these questions.  We shouldn't remove anything
that could be legitimately part of the payload, we should only remove
stuff that might be prepended/appended to the payload by the software
involved in the transaction.