Re: Does Emacs return memory to the system on Mac OS X or *BSD?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Does Emacs return memory to the system on Mac OS X or *BSD?
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 23:07:52 -0400

> I'm curious as to whether Emacs returns memory to the operating system
> when running on Mac OS X or *BSD systems.

This question is largely ill-posed: would you really care if Emacs once in
a blue moon returns 4KB out of a 2GB heap?

The answer depends on a lot of details about the system, the
compile-time options used, and the specific usage pattern.
And in my experience, in the end it never really matters anyway.

        Stefan