RE: i18n/l10n summary

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: i18n/l10n summary
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 07:27:10 -0700 (PDT)

> The discussion so far seems to point at modifying 'message' and
> the likes so that developers don't have to bother with any l10n
> mechanism on their part (besides for writing clean strings).

(Caveat: I haven't been following this thread at all, so
ignore if not helpful.)

Is the idea that something will be done so that, for example,
`message' automatically uses a translation of the message to
the user's currently preferred language?  I.e., if that is
what is planned, isn't it perhaps too systematic - all or
nothing?

If so, then perhaps there should be a way to easily, from
Lisp, specify the target language explicitly - e.g. by an
optional `message' argument or (better, because the scope
is controllable without changing the `message' calls) by
binding a variable.

This, as opposed to automatically and always just making
`message' target whatever language is currently being
used/preferred by the user.

And in that case, there should perhaps be a user option
that overrides such a language choice by Lisp code.  IOW,
in general, let code control the language for a given
`message' call or for a given scope (by a variable), but
let a user customize Emacs to say whether to allow this.