Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 175, Issue 8

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 175, Issue 8
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2017 23:01:56 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden
>> Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2017 03:50:45 -0400
>>
>> From: address@hidden (Eric Abrahamsen)
>> To: address@hidden
>> Date: Thu,  1 Jun 2017 03:50:19 -0400 (EDT)
>> Subject: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/gnus-search a80b6f9 02/30: Rename nnir.el to
>>  gnus-search.el
>> Message: 1
>>
>> branch: scratch/gnus-search
>> commit a80b6f9da4d739c91d26c8c944c3b95ac87eac8a
>> Author: Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden>
>> Commit: Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden>
>>
>>     Rename nnir.el to gnus-search.el
>
> Is this renaming really necessary?  If it isn't, I'd prefer not to
> rename, as doing so makes digging into history harder.

When all the dust has cleared on these edits, gnus-search.el won't
really have much to do with the original nnir.el, not to the point where
you'd be interested in following code evolution from one file to the
next. The "rename" commit message was more a note-to-self intermediate
step.

(Possibly extraneous background: half of the original nnir.el file is
getting moved into a new Gnus backend in nnselect.el, the remaining half
is mostly rewritten, and the "nnir" designation no longer makes any
sense. In fact, more actual code survives in nnir.el-->nnselect.el than
survived nnir.el-->gnus-search.el.)

This actually leads to a question that I was going to ask later: with a
fairly hefty change like this, how should the code be later merged into
master? It doesn't really make sense as a multi-commit patch-set,
because the whole thing basically got tossed out and re-written. There
is no viable "intermediate state", it's pretty much monolithic.

My feeling is that, eventually, it might make most sense to merge with
--squash and just do a fairly hefty commit message. If that happens, the
"rename" would just disappear: nnir.el would go away, and be replaced by
a combination of nnselect.el and gnus-search.el.

WDYT?

Anyway, I agree with Ted's suggestion that scratch branches maybe
shouldn't trigger emacs-diffs notifications!

Eric