Re: bug#23425: master branch: `message' wrongly corrupts ' to curly quot

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: bug#23425: master branch: `message' wrongly corrupts ' to curly quote.
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 15:39:57 -0400

On 2017-06-06 14:59, Yuri Khan wrote:
> So, yes, I expect that the majority of Ukrainian computer users do in
> fact enter U+0027 when the correct character is U+02BC.

Makes sense, thanks for clarifying.
It might be possible to enforce that translation files use the proper character
(people writing translations for Emacs will be able to rely on an appropriate
Emacs input method).  Can you confirm that this would sidestep the issue that
you mentioned earlier?  We'd never have ' where ʼ is meant, and so automatic
`'-translation wouldn't cause unexpected issues.

(The language that prompted my initial email was unsurprisingly French, which
uses ' between consecutive characters (it'd be a pain to have to type
"l%'arrivée d%'un email", and I don't know anyone who types in the proper
"l’arrivée d’un email", except when their text editor auto-corrects).

Clément.